Wednesday, August 4, 2010

"Ten Hut!"

“This is my command— Be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go!” –Joshua 1:9

I’m not even gonna lie, this past week I lived this verse out to the MAX! The few weeks leading up to our grade school summer camp, “X3 Hero Headquarters,” were pretty intense. As a young chick, with no previous experience trying to lead a camp of over one-hundred and fifty 1st-5th graders, and fifty-plus volunteers here’s what I was thinking: “Are you kidding me Lord?!? I think you’ve gotten me mixed up with someone else! I’m so not qualified to do this!” Those fears of feeling too young, unequipped, and unprepared quickly fogged up my “faith goggles” and I couldn’t see the truth for anything! God gave me a specific passage of scripture to cling to. He used it to speak to my heart saying “Don’t be scared, I have favor on you! I’m going to use you to lead all these people to the “promised land,” (the place where I dwell), so that my glory can be displayed! I’ve called you by name Carole Ann. I’m with you and for you!”

The first day of camp, during small group time, a third-grade girl made the decision to make Jesus the leader of her life. The second day two more children came to faith during their small group session. God was quick to begin displaying His glory. As Friday approached we wanted to be sure each child had the opportunity to meet Jesus. I’d been asking God for days what He wanted me to say during this time and never seemed to get an answer. Finally, very, very, early Friday morning God told me to get enough Lifesaver candies for all the children, and then just leave the rest up to Him. He reminded me that He would be with me and speak through me if I’d only be courageous in allowing Him to. That Friday morning 40 children asked Christ to be the leader of their lives!!! I’m so honored that God would use a wretch like me to lead an amazing group of volunteers, which He used in a phenomenal way, to prepare the hearts of the children to meet Him that Friday morning. When God calls us out to be “strong and courageous,” it’s for grand things! It’s for His glory to be displayed. We can see the evidence of that strewn all throughout life of Joshua...

This weekend we kick-off our new series “Ten Hut” where we’ll be following the new leader, Joshua, as he bravely guides the nation of Israel into the Promised Land! After Moses died Joshua was put in charge of leading the Israelites. Could you imagine being responsible for such a large group of people? …Kinda like the president, except Joshua had to lead his entire nation on foot into a land promised to them 40 years prior! I bet he was just a little tense! The cool thing is Joshua had a close relationship with Lord. God commanded him to be “strong and courageous!” Promising to never leave Joshua, God empowered him with the audacity to lead the people into the land flowing with milk and honey…

This weekend Cove kiddos will see that real courage comes from believing God. He’s called them by name to do great things so that His glory can be displayed! They need only to be strong, courageous, and know that the God who created the universe is right by their side—making His power perfect in their weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9).

No matter how much fear was present, God’s presence in Joshua’s life was greater! He stepped out in faith to lead the nation of Israel into the Promised Land. What does your “Promised Land” look like? God longs to bring you to it but first you must be strong and courageous. Believe that your God is with you and step out in faith today! Ten Hut!

Carole Loebs
3rd, 4th, and 5th Grade Coordinator
cloebs@covechurch.org

No comments:

Post a Comment