Thursday, December 9, 2010

Mission Possible

For with God nothing is ever impossible and no word from God shall be without power or impossible of fulfillment. – Luke 1:37

I looked up the meaning of impossible on dictionary.com and found this amazing explanation:

Impossible: (adjective) not possible

Why thank you. All jesting aside, here are some other words that define impossible; unable to be, unable to be performed, incapable of being true, not to be done with any degree of reason, utterly impracticable. And then…I saw this one, which really hit home for me,” hopelessly unsuitable or difficult.” Have you ever been in a situation you could describe with those words? Unable. Void of reason. Impracticable. Hopeless. I would venture to say we all have, I know I have. But there is good news!!! When it comes to God and his will for us, those words have no meaning! Last week we learned that we can have Joy because God always keeps his promises, and this week we’ll be learning we can have Joy because NOTHING is impossible with God.

Our story this week is one many of you are familiar with. It’s the story of the Angel Gabriel visiting Mary. He told Mary she had received special favor from the Lord, and that God was very pleased with her. But that’s not all Gabriel said. He told her “You are going to have a baby, a son. You must name him Jesus. He’ll be great and will be called the Son of the Most High God.” Say what?! That must have been Mary’s response. Actually, that’s almost what it was. Mary responded “HOW can this be?” She went on to tell the Angel that she wasn’t married yet, so how could she have a baby? I believe Gabriel might have smiled as he spoke next; “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you… Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age (remember her)… For nothing is impossible with God.” And Mary, in her amazing faith, said “may it happen to me just as you have said.” She knew and understood that anything was possible with God. And she, even though fearful and probably a little confused, could have Joy in knowing this! (Luke 1:26-38)

So as we head into this season and new year, let us not forget that lesson that Mary so quickly understood, to not look at our problem/situations as impossible. I was 19 when God taught me this lesson. Working a good paying job and….paying rent for a house that was much bigger than one should need at 19. Then one day, I lost my job. And as some of us know all too well, the bills didn’t stop coming. I was out of work for a little over 5 months with no savings and no income. And to this day I don’t understand it, but I never missed a bill or rent payment! It didn’t make sense to my small brain (and it still doesn’t), but it was living proof of Luke 1:37. Let us also heed Gabriel’s words….and Mary’s faith. When we put our complete trust in God, and truly believe he can do anything, we can take "impossible" out of our vocabulary and see that the possibilities are, in fact, endless! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment