Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Patient Heart

As a child I remember how very difficult it was to wait patiently for my birthday, Christmas, our vacation, or even my turn to play a game. It seemed like an eternity to me.

Even today as an adult I am caught up in the “instantaneous” generation. I find myself impatient with my computer, my microwave, instant replays, and so on. Can you relate? Unfortunately with all the technological advances we seem to becoming more and more impatient with life. Then we wonder, why can’t our children just be patient?


In this weekend’s Bible lesson your child will learn “I Will Be Patient”. This is the last lesson in our series TEN HUT, which focuses on the life of David. Your child will learn that David wanted to thank God for all He had given him. David wanted to build a very special temple for God. God told David he would not build the temple. David would have to patiently wait until his son Solomon was born, as he would build the great temple. While David waited for Solomon to grow up, he gathered wood, stone, and other things to use in the building of the temple. Waiting patiently is the right thing to do even if it is difficult. This makes God very happy as it shows God we have faith and trust in His plans and His promises!

You can help your child to learn to be patient by sharing a story about how you waited patiently for something-trusting and believing in God’s promises! You can help your child to remember a time when they waited patiently for something.

When I begin to lose my patience with others I remember how patient God is with me. As His word says, “But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” 2 Peter 3: 8-9

Our awesome God is so patient with us and He wants us to learn to be patient with others and with circumstances in our lives. We can help our children to be patient by modeling patience in our lives.

Carolyn Hillegeist
Early Childhood Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment